Thursday, November 29, 2007

A Case Of False Advertising???

Well, probably not, but... It's fair to say that over my long Thanksgiving weekend off I watched more television than I had for the last 2 months. The reason... yes, I had 4 days off, but I would rather shoot myself in the head than set foot in a store... any store... during those 4 days. Consequently, I stayed home, dug out the Christmas decorations, rearranged the furniture, and put up the Christmas tree and then put everything back in the closet... during which time I generally have the television going just for background noise.

Imagine my delight when I noticed Walmart's intriguing commercials promoting their having more check out lanes open than ever before to handle all of your holiday shopping needs.

Well, I'm leaving for a week long trip home to Iowa after work on Friday evening, so I thought I would stop by Walmart tonight after work to pick up a few things for the trip... I zoomed here and there and back again, criscrossed the store at least twice in 35 minutes - which was pretty damn amazing considering the everything I needed seemed to be in the four corners of the store... but when I got to the front of the store at 11:35 p.m. what to my wondering eyes should appear? Two... that's right two... count them... one.... two.... two checkout lanes were open and a line of about 25 people between them.

Now Murfreesboro isn't some small town that closes down at 5 o'clock on a weeknight... this town supports two Walmart stores and has been trying to build a third in town for the last couple of years... so I ask you, why, Mr. Walmart store manager, is it that you only have 2 checkout lanes open at 11:30 pm on a weeknight in a town the size of this? You're definitely not living up to your advertisements.

No comments: