Monday, July 07, 2008

Starting A New Schedule

Today is the first day of the 3rd quarter, and since we bid on shifts quarterly, it is also the first day of my new shift. Though it is not really a new shift for me, as just a new start time... I have worked 2nd shift for the better part of the last 17 years, be it at Murray Products, sears.com or Verizon Wireless. For the vast majority of my employment with Verizon Wireless I have worked from 2:30 to 11 p.m. with a 30 minute lunch, which suits me perfectly. However there was only one schedule on our 2nd quarter bid with a 30 minute lunch and that was from 2 to 10:30, thus, moving my schedule up 30 minutes which doesn't seem like a big deal, but I worked that shift for 1 quarter & it totally messed up my daily routine. Instead I chose to take one of the 2:15 to 11 shift with a 45 minute lunch. I really don't want to be there any longer than I absolutely have to, so the 45 minute lunch was preferable to the only other option, 2 to 11 with an hour lunch. By and large that schedule has worked for me, it's given me time to go out and get something to eat, should I want to, and actually have time to eat it. Or if I don't want to eat, it gives me an extra 15 minutes of reading time. Well, when the 3rd quarter shift bid rolled out in May the 30 or 45 minute lunches were no longer an option. The ten 2nd shift schedules were all Monday through Friday, 2 to 11 p.m. and all with hour lunches. So, now I get to leave home at 1:30 in stead of 1:45 or even 2:00. I'm so thrilled... NOT!

No comments: