Thursday, July 20, 2006

R.A.G.K. Recipient

Last night I was the unsuspecting recipient of a Random Act of Genealogical Kindness. I came home from work, and as always my modis operendi, kissed Gregg, put down my tote bag and announced that I was going upstairs to check my email and change into my T-shirt & sweat pants.

When I sat down at my desk to check my email, what to my wondering eyes should appear but an email from Gary Fierce, a stranger unknown and totally unrelated to me. The subject of Gary's email read: Wilson/Luce Family. Now, I have been doing genealogy as a hobby for 18 years, and one of my very first research successes was with the family of my Great Great Great Grandparents, William S. Luce & Huldah Rogers.

Willaim & Huldah Luce had 8 children; the 7th of which was a girl named Melissa A. Luce, b. 11 FEB 1852 in (probably Penobscott Co.) Maine. As a young girl, Melissa, moved with her parents and siblings, first to Stark Co., IL and finally to Doyle Township, Clarke Co., IA where one can find Huldah (Rogers) Luce's headstone in Sanders Cemetery.

Melissa A. Luce married Traverse (or Travis) J. Wilson, of Decatur Co., IA, at the home of her parents on 26 DEC 1872. Shortly before his marriage Mr. Wilson bought 40 acres of land in Clarke County from Thomas Vinson for $500. The couple then sold the property less than 6 months later to Isaac Gregg and disapear from the records of Clarke County... only to be named in her father's will in 1881.

Up until the Church of Latter Day Saints put their transcription of the 1880 Census on their website (www.familysearch.org) this was all I knew about Melissa & Traverse/Travis J. Wilson. I was so desparate for information on this family I once called a telephone psychic, rationallizing that if even one peice of information turned out to be true and useful then my $25 would be well spent. Once the 1880 census was up I found them living in Union, Worth Co. MO with 3 children; Harvy B., James & Alferd. But again the trail grew cold... until last night that is.

With Gary's email I was able to add 2 more children to the family (I already had the name of Alma from a currious law suit filed by the heirs of David Emery, brother-in-law of Melissa, but I wasn't for sure if she was a daughter or daughter-in-law of Melissa's), and added information on James Wilson's family.

Here's the info I know have on : The Family of Melissa A. (Luce) & Traverse/Travis J. Wilson

1. MALISSA A.7 LUCE (WILLIAM S.6, ELIJAH5, BETHUEL4, MELATIAH3, THOMAS2, HENRY1) was born 11 Feb 1852 in Maine - prob. Penobscott Co., and died Bet. 1880 - 1900. She married TRAVERSE (OR TRAVIS?) J. WILSON 26 Dec 1872 in home of William S. Luce, Clarke Co., IA, son of (--?--) WILSON and (--?--). He was born Sep 1848 in Ohio, and died Aft. 1910.

More About MALISSA A. LUCE:
Residence: 1880, Union, Worth Co., MO

More About TRAVERSE (OR TRAVIS?) J. WILSON:
Residence 1: 1880, Union, Worth Co., MO
Residence 2: 1900, Grant Twsp., Sedgwick Co., KS
Residence 3: 1910, St. John, Whitman Co., WA

Children of MALISSA LUCE and TRAVERSE WILSON are:
i. HARVY B.8 WILSON, b. Abt. 1874, Iowa; d. Aft. 26 Mar 1912.
2. ii. JAMES W. WILSON, b. Abt. 1876, Illinois; d. Aft. 26 Mar 1912.
iii. ALFERD WILSON, b. Abt. 1879, Missouri.
iv. ALMA WILSON, b. Aug 1888, Nebraska; d. Aft. 26 Mar 1912.
v. VONES/VENES WILSON, b. Dec 1890, Kansas.

2. JAMES W.8 WILSON (MALISSA A.7 LUCE, WILLIAM S.6, ELIJAH5, BETHUEL4, MELATIAH3, THOMAS2, HENRY1) was born Abt. 1876 in Illinois, and died Aft. 26 Mar 1912. He married EFFIE (--?--), daughter of (--?--) and (--?--). She was born Abt. 1881 in Kansas.

More About JAMES W. WILSON:
Residence 1: 1880, Union, Worth Co., MO
Residence 2: 1910, Walnut, Jewel Co., KS
Residence 3: 1920, St. George, Pottawatomie Co., KS
Residence 4: 1930, St. George, Pottawatomie Co., KS

Children of JAMES WILSON and EFFIE (--?--) are:
i. ALMA/ELMA R.9 WILSON, b. Abt. 1905, Kansas.
ii. ELIZABETH WILSON, b. Abt. 1907, Kansas.
iii. ELIZAH WILSON, b. Abt. 1911, Kansas.
iv. SYLVIA WILSON, b. Abt. 1913, Kansas.
v. JAMES WILSON, b. Abt. 1916, Kansas.
vi. ELISHA WILSON, b. Abt. 1919, Kansas.
I have just sent Gary a thank you note and a promise to pay his random act of genealogical kindess forward to its next unsuspecting recipient. With genealogy I have especially found that the more you give out the more you get in return.

No comments: